Tuesday, March 15, 2005

 

Loyalists Attack SDLP Member

Loyalist thugs stoned a Northern Ireland Assembly member at a bonfire site in Belfast, she revealed tonight.Carmel Hanna of the SDLP was pelted as she arrived at the scene for a television interview on environmental concerns.The attack happened at Shaw's Bridge where loyalists have already begun gathering for the 11th night celebrations ahead of the annual July 12 bonfire celebrations.(The bigots certainly start early, don't they?)

A shaken Mrs Hanna said: "I just heard the bricks hit the roof of my car, and one broke my wing mirror.

"There were heavy thuds and my car was the only thing that was hit.I had to drive out to get away."

Mrs Hanna stressed she respected their right to mark a key date in the Protestant calendar but added: "As a public representative I should be allowed to have a view on it.

"We need health and safety regulations implemented just like there are for Halloween fireworks and there should be a time frame so that these sites are not polluted all year round."

This is a shameful attack on a public figure and I wonder if Unionists will even bother to condemn it?Unionists are quick to bash republicans at every opportunity but will they take the time to bash these loyalist thugs?Somehow I doubt it.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

© 2008 United Irelander.