Thursday, March 17, 2005
Some Facts (cough) about St.Patrick
St.Patrick is far too often misrepresented here in Ireland.Myth and the truth converge to create all manner of confusion.Below, I have set the record straight:
- St.Patrick is not Welsh.He actually had an Irish grandmother.
- He was not kidnapped by Irish raiders.He hired raiders to take him across the sea because Wales isn't as good as Ireland.
- St. Patrick was not an Irish Republican but he may have been an Irish publican.
- St. Patrick hoped there would never be a red and white saltire in his honour.
- St.Patrick did send the snakes out of Ireland but he kept a few in case some zoos needed them.
- St.Patrick said it was alright to break Lent for the 17th of March.
- St.Patrick invented the shamrock.
- St.Patrick didn't like Cork.
- St.Patrick didn't think his name would catch on in Ireland.
- St.Patrick thought parades were stupid.
There, now you know better. (note-if you're a student who stumbled on this blog and have an essay on St.Patrick to do, forget everything you just read.Have a pint instead.Make sure it's Guinness)
© 2008 United Irelander.