Sunday, April 16, 2006

 

Happy Easter and Remember 1916!

Remember 1916Well, it's finally here. Easter Sunday! I'd like to take this time to wish all my readers a happy and enjoyable Easter. This day means different things to different people but I hope you enjoy it all the same.

For me, today is very important. Not only is it Easter but it is the day when the Irish state will give thanks to the brave men and women who put their lives on the line to take a stand against British rule in Ireland and who, by doing so, managed to alter the political landscape of the country.

My national flag, my national anthem, my country's system of government and most of all, my independence, are all things that I have as a result of the Easter rebels. As a Dubliner I pass by the GPO regularly when going about my day and had it not been for events in Easter 90 years ago, it's very possible that a union jack would now be flying over that building. While I still feel Ireland has a long way to go to fulfil the dreams of the Easter rebels, today is about celebrating the Irish state and Irish nation which are both as strong and as healthy as they have ever been.

This marks an end to the Easter Rising theme that has been prevalent here on United Irelander. I hope you have found it entertaining and maybe even a bit educational. For those of you who may have missed it we focused on all seven of the signatories to the 1916 Proclamation:

Séan MacDiarmada
Thomas Clarke
Eamonn Ceannt
James Connolly
Thomas MacDonagh
Joseph Plunkett
Padraig Pearse

We remembered some of the harrowing stories of the Rising:

Elizabeth O'Farrell
Dr James Ryan
Skeffington murdered
Soldiers kill Guinness workers
Father and son murdered by British
Civilian killed on doorstep by British soldiers
Civilians killed by South Staffordshire Regiment

I gave you my own personal view of the Rising and there was even an Easter Rising quiz. All this and much, much more.

As I say I hope you found it interesting and informative.

As for me I'm off to take in the celebrations on Sunday. I'm going to take a little break too as I've been working hard of late and I need to recharge the old batteries. There's nothing more that needs to be said at this stage anyway.

I should be back on Wednesday please God and I hope to have an interview up as well unlike last week which fell through on me (sorry about that!).

Anyway, have a good day and don't let those uptight, think-they-know-everything revisionist detractors get you down. You know I won't!

Slán go foill.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

© 2008 United Irelander.