Thursday, July 14, 2005

 

Happy Bastille Day!


Today is of course Bastille Day, France's national holiday. It's a celebration which commemorates the storming of the Bastille in 1789 which precipitated the French revolution.


Considering today is France's day, I thought I would mention some of the things about France that I like. So, without further ado:

- French patriotism - The French have gone way up in my estimation thanks to their wondeful decision to reject the nation-state threatening EU constitution. They have sent the EU's plans for a European Superstate into turmoil. Très Bien!

- French language - I think the French language is great and it's very easy to use in my opinion. I can recall from school how alot of the students preferred learning French to Irish and how they found French to be easier. À mon avis, c'est magnifique!

- French anthem - La Marseillaise is a really stirring song. I find it very rousing and I'm not even French!

- French women - They really are terrific. Just look at Sophie Marceau!

So there you have it. Feel free to offer your own choices if you feel I've left some things out.

However, while I'm being nice to France today, all that will change in a few months when the French come to Lansdowne Road for the crucial World Cup qualifier!

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

© 2008 United Irelander.