Friday, June 10, 2005
Fun Irelander Feature-Summertime
Well summertime seems to be making its presence felt since I've noticed a decent amount of sunshine today, but is summertime really all that great? Sure we have the warmer weather, longer days and the chance to drink beer in our back gardens but what about the negative aspects? What about the darker side of summertime? Below I list some of my pet peeves about summertime:
- Sunburn - Sunshine is all well and good but too much of it can be disastrous for a humble Dubliner who is more used to seeing sunshine on the TV. Most of us don't tan too well (unless freckles count) and I've often been burnt to a crisp at this time of year.
- Creepy Crawlies - Don't you just hate these bastards? I'm starting to see moths appearing on my windows. I hate these things. They've no right to come into my home dammit! Not to mention the amount of spiders, midgets and those weird gigantic huge things you end up coming across...
- Shite TV - All the good shows end when summer comes along. We're told they'll "return in the Autumn". It's a bloody disgrace is what it is.
- Knackertime - Summertime is knackertime. School ends and these gobshites end up drinking cans around your area at ten o'clock at night. Sort them out McDowell!
- Sporting season over - The Premiership's done and this year in particular is very dodgy. It's one of those nasty odd number years. Next year there's the World Cup and last year we could slag off England as they crashed out of Portugal, but what about this year? RTE are bringing us the Confederation Cup or something. Whoop-de-doo!
So there you have it. Just some things I needed to get off my chest. Enjoy your summer everybody!
© 2008 United Irelander.