Monday, October 03, 2005

 

No Turkey for me

The Taoiseach, Bertie Ahern, has said negotiations with Turkey over EU membership must go ahead for today.

Foreign ministers from all 25 states met yesterday to discuss the country's application for membership.

Austria is demanding the EU considers partial-membership, but Turkey says it will abandon talks if this is the case.

Mr Ahern said foreign ministers agreed last December that negotiations would take place on the basis of full membership and that they must stick to their word.

"We did agree on where Turkey stood, I know people have reservations," the Taoiseach told Adam Boulton on Sky’s Sunday programme.

I'd like to know why this issue is even on the table? I admire Austria's stance on this. Turkey has a horrible human rights record and as far as I know, the conditions that were set out by other EU states for Turkish membership have not yet been met by the Turks.

I don't want my country associated with Turkey. It's a mess. If it gets its act together then that's a different story.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

© 2008 United Irelander.