Wednesday, August 03, 2005

 

Save the Hill of Tara!

I'm sure you're all well aware of the plans for a motorway which will pass through the Tara-Skryne valley near the Hill of Tara.

I found a good letter in the Irish Examiner relating to the issue. I thought I would highlight it:


"The Taoiseach again declares his party to be "the republican party" in the wake of the historic announcement by the IRA. What would his republican ancestors think of the Government’s decision to put a motorway through Tara?

When the British Israelites attempted to dig the hill 100 years ago, Arthur Griffith wrote a series of articles in the United Irishman defending Tara from the attack of the "foreigners" and reminded his readers that Tara was "a living reminder of the former glory of an enslaved and half-debased nation".

Today, it is our own half-debased nation cannibalising its former glory.

Another defender of Tara, WB Yeats prophetically wrote in a poem:

"I have forgot awhile / Tara uprooted, and new commonness / Upon the throne and crying about the streets / And hanging its paper flowers from post to post, / Because it is alone of all things happy."

What would the men of ’98 have to say? Those who fought and died in the Battle of Tara? Daniel O’Connell? He chose our ancient capital as the venue for a monster meeting. They must be turning in their graves.

Muireann Ní Bhrolcháin
Save the TaraSkryne Valley Group

Hear, hear! I concur.


I think this government is showing a deplorable attitude to this nation's culture and history and the Hill of Tara has a rich and vibrant history which you can read more about here.

I don't think I've raised the issue of the Hill of Tara on United Irelander before so I'm interested in hearing what your views are on it. Personally I think these proposals for the motorway need to be dropped forthwith!

What do you think?

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

© 2008 United Irelander.