Saturday, February 18, 2006

 

Ard Fheis speech by Adams

Adams' speech set the right toneI must say that I was impressed with the speech at the Sinn Féin Ard Fheis by party leader Gerry Adams.

I was particularly impressed with his declaration that there cannot be a return to violence as a way of furthering Republican objectives.

"No one should harbour the notion that the Republican struggle can be advanced any further by an armed campaign. This leadership is firmly opposed to such a departure," he said.

Generally speaking, it was a positive speech from Adams which was what was required.

Earlier I outlined what I wanted to see from the Sinn Féin Ard Fheis and I figured I'd remind you all of what I wanted to see and how I felt Adams' speech related to these issues:

"I would like to see Sinn Féin reaffirm their commitment to a United Ireland as the division of the national territory remains the biggest problem facing Irish society today."

Sinn Féin made it quite clear that they wanted to 'Make Partition History', as I knew they would, and as an Irish nationalist it was encouraging to hear.

"I would like to see Sinn Féin take the Irish Republic's parties to task over their diabolical attitude towards Irish people north of the border. I hope the issue of northern representation in the Dáil is raised as well as the issue of voting rights for people in the North who want to vote in Irish Presidential elections."

Adams did take the Taoiseach to task for reneging on a deal he had agreed with Adams and Finance Minister Brian Cowen for northern representation in the Dáil. The issue of voting rights in Presidential elections was not raised but the issue of northern representation is of more pressing importance I feel so I'm not too annoyed about that.

"I would like to see Sinn Féin criticise the DUP's rejectionist stance and I would like to see them call on the two governments to prepare for progress, as well as to reaffirm their commitment to the Good Friday Agreement."

Again, I felt Adams' speech did the job on this issue too and Adams put a question to Paisley on whether or not his war was over. We're all wondering that I suppose. I was especially pleased to see Adams take the two governments to task over their pandering to Ian Paisley.

Overall, Adams' speech was satisfactory from my standpoint. He didn't engage in much sniping at the other parties and he called on all nationalists and Republicans in the island to pay tribute to the men of 1916 and the Hunger Strikes. I certainly will be anyway.

I think the speech set a good and positive tone which was exactly what it should have done.

In other news, it emerged that Sinn Féin have voted narrowly in favour of a electoral strategy motion insisting that the Offences Against the State Act must be repealed as a pre-condition before any coalition talks. Dublin South-West TD Sean Crowe had earlier urged the party not to limit its options in advance of the general election.

I'm a bit baffled by this decision as it has made the tough prospect of government in the Republic that extra bit tougher, but hey, it's their decision.

And finally, a bit off-topic, but I think I'm falling in love with the beautiful and delectable Miss Toireasa Ferris. A gorgeous woman with a heavenly voice. She certainly set my heart a flutter when I saw her at the Ard Fheis.



A sexy Irish politician at last!
Divine!







If they get more members like her, the party's future will be in very good shape indeed...


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

© 2008 United Irelander.