Tuesday, January 10, 2006

 

FAI set to give Stan some Bob

Stan, Stan, is he our man? I guess you've all heard the news about Steve Staunton and how he is set to land the job as Ireland manager, and interestingly the FAI want to give him an experienced manager as a mentor and this is set to be none other than former England boss Sir Bobby Robson.

Staunton is currently Paul Merson's assistant at Walsall and Merson has said he won't stand in Staunton's way if he got the chance to manage the Irish team.

"I'd back him," Merson said. "Everybody who plays football would love to manage their country one day, so, if it came along, of course I'd let him go."

Do we want him though? That is the question. I respect Steve Staunton for the service he gave Ireland as a player. You have to respect a guy who has 102 caps for his country, but I just don't know if he is up to the task of being Irish manager.

Clearly the FAI feel the same way judging by their plan to have Robson overlooking the team but how will that system work? Will the two get on? Will it all end in a farcical manner with one of them leaving after a few months?

There are alot of questions to be answered.

A rare creature - a likeable Englishman
I'm more Irish than Tony Cascarino!






I actually like Sir Bobby Robson (would he be the first knight involved with an Irish team?) and I respect his managerial record so I personally have no problem with him having a role in the side and I think most fans would feel the same.

All in all it's a strange combination. I'm not quite sure what to make of it but I am willing to give it a chance if this is the plan for the Irish side.

What are your thoughts on it?

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

© 2008 United Irelander.