Thursday, September 01, 2005

 

Up the Pole!

Get this - A cable television channel for the greater Dublin area is to broadcast the country’s first ever dedicated Polish programme.

City Channel revealed news magazine show Oto Polska would give viewers the chance to catch up on political, cultural, entertainment, news and sports events from all over Poland.

David Harvey, City Channel founder and chief executive, said it was the first in a series of programmes aimed at ethnic groups in the capital.

"We are delighted to be the first TV station to cater for ethnic communities and provide a broad service for all ethnic communities living in Dublin.

"A similar offering will come on air in the future for the Filipino, Russian and Chinese communities living in Dublin which I believe proves our strong commitment to provide a broad service which includes programmes of interest to emigrant audiences living in Dublin."

The channel is due to hit the air waves in September offering a range of city based lifestyle shows. Oto Polska is due to air for the first time towards the end of the month.

I think this is absurd! Why the hell should there be a television station for ethnic minorities? There are plenty of Irish people in Britain but it's not like BBC or ITV run programmes for Irish people! It's ridiculous!

I don't mean to come across as xenophobic (cos I'm not) and I'm sure that there are a few loony lefties eager to throw out the 'R' word at me but, if anything, I think it's discriminatory to cater to minorities over the people as a whole.

These people have chosen to come to our country and I don't begrudge them that right. I would however like to see them make an effort to adopt to our way of life. Such has been the case for Irish people who have gone abroad to other countries.

Therefore, I think this idea is very bad. It's a waste of money in my view.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

© 2008 United Irelander.