Tuesday, August 23, 2005

 

Top Ten Tuesday - Roses of Tralee

Don't you just love the Rose of Tralee? A classic bit of oul' Irishness. So bad it's good. As far as I'm concerned there's nothing wrong with objectifying women now and again as long as it's in good taste. I better be careful here or I'll be hunted down like poor old Michael Buerk was after his recent comments! But in all seriousness it's a great traditional show and, if nothing else, it gives all those lovely girls a break from making the tea. I haven't watched the show yet on RTE but I found pictures of the Roses on RTE's website and I thought I'd do some objectifying myself by naming my top ten Roses! So without further ado:

1.
Mayo Rose - Ah, isn't she lovely? Not only that but she plays concertina and I'm not totally sure what that is.
2.
Belfast Rose - What a lovely smile. Not only that but "she has taken part in the musical Grease and is known in her local area for singing at weddings". I'm assuming she has been asked to sing at these weddings...
3.
Kildare Rose - Beautiful and smart! Some of her career ambitions are to "develop laser technology and operate her own Irish dancing school". Imagine it! Irish dancing with lasers. Outstanding.
4.
Cork Rose - Isn't she gorgeous altogether? She also has "fourteen years of unbroken school attendance at Scoil an Athar Maitiu and Mount Mercy College". Nerds are so sexy.
5.
New Orleans Rose - Another lovely girl - or should I say gal? Apparently "Her Irish roots are in Galway". Hey, nobody's perfect.
6.
Toronto Rose - Very pretty and also a winner - She captained the Canadian ice skating team that won the Gold Cup in Croatia. Now she's hunting for the ultimate accolade - to be Rose of Tralee!
7.
Sydney Rose - Did you know that her "interest in the Rose of Tralee reflects a career goal to write and produce a documentary on ethnic and cultural groups who are first generation living in Australia". I'm not sure what all that means but I'm impressed!
8.
San Francisco Rose - Very nice and apparently she likes "community service". She'd fit right at home over here without a doubt.
9.
Limerick Rose - She's cute. Where does she see herself in five year's time? 'In love, happy in my job and residing in Limerick'. Not happy in your area though? I kid! I kid!
10.
Dublin Rose - She's lovely and she's from Dublin! Granted she would "like to meet George Clooney whom she thinks is a great actor" but we can forgive her for that.

So there you have it. My top ten Irish Roses. Feel free to comment on my choices or to offer some of your own.


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

© 2008 United Irelander.