Monday, May 22, 2006

 

Ireland won the Eurovision after all!

I say we won They've been reporting this on the Joe Duffy show on the radio and it's probably the funniest story of the year so far.

A press release on the Irish government's website has the Minister for Arts, Sports and Tourism John O'Donoghue congratulating Brian Kennedy on winning the Eurovision for Ireland! I kid you not! The press release dated the 20th of May, the night of the Eurovision, reads:

"John O'Donoghue, T.D., Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism congratulated Brian Kennedy on his success in the Eurovision Song Contest with his own composition "Every Song Is A Cry For Love".

"Minister O'Donoghue said: "I wish to extend my congratulations to Brian on his marvelous win for Ireland at the Eurovision Song Contest in Athens tonight. He gave a wonderful performance and in the process extended Ireland's record number of Eurovision wins to eight. Everyone should be very proud of this excellent achievement."

ENDS

This is unbelievable! I know the Irish government is used to telling a few porkies but this is ridiculous.

I guess Minister O'Donoghue was more fed up with the voting system than I was.

Well done, Brian! You did us proud!

Stick that up your hole, Finland!

Update: If you click the link above you'll see the Government has removed the press release in question. Rats! Ah well, at least I reproduced it before they got to it...

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

© 2008 United Irelander.