Monday, February 27, 2006

 

In hindsight, should the march have gone ahead?

It's been a while since I've done a poll here on United Irelander and after the controversial scenes witnessed on Saturday and after the differing viewpoints offered up on the violence, I felt a new poll was merited. Thus I have added a new poll which asks the question:

In hindsight, should the march have gone ahead?

Please take the time to vote in the poll along my sidebar and please use the comments section of this post to explain what way you voted and why.

I personally voted that it shouldn't have taken place.

It seems to me that in most people's eyes, Eoghan Harris aside, there are three groups who have been alleged to have been at fault. Some have blamed the rioters for the violence, some have said the Love Ulster marchers were responsible for the violence while some have laid the blame at the Gardaí for their organisation of the parade and how they did not expect violence to occur.

Personally I feel that the rioters were to blame. I don't blame the marchers and I don't blame the Gardaí either for what happened on Saturday but with that being said, couldn't this sorry situation have been avoided altogether?

Thanks to the heroics of the Gardaí, the marchers were protected but they could have been hurt had the rioters had their way. As well as that the bottom line is, the parade was cancelled on the day anyway.

Wouldn't alot have hurt been spared - literally - if the Government had made the call to stop the parade from taking place?

The rioters were scum but there's something not quite right about a group called Love Ulster, which claims to be against influence from Dublin in the North's affairs, coming to Dublin to get this point across.

I just feel the whole mess could have been, and should have been, avoided in the first place.

What do you think?

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

© 2008 United Irelander.