Friday, October 28, 2005

 

Fun Irelander Feature - Accents

Here's an extract from a conversation I had a few days ago with a nice enough chap in the pub:

Me: So where are you from?

Him: I'm from Cork.

Me: (Deep breath) Oh right.

Him: Whereabouts are you from?

Me: Dublin.

Him: Are ya?

Me: Yeah, why?

Him: Well, you don't sound like you're from Dublin. You don't have a Dublin accent.

Me: (Suppressing rage) Oh.

I was deeply hurt. I've always felt my Northside accent was quite prominent. Not long ago, I met a friend of a friend from the North who made my day when he said that my Dublin accent was noticeable unlike my mate's. Now I don't know what to think. Bloody Corkonians...

What about yourselves? Is your accent noticeable or not?

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

© 2008 United Irelander.