Thursday, December 15, 2005

 

Keano the Bhoy!

I'm delighted that my favourite Irish player and one of the few Corkmen I actually like, Roy Keane, has completed his move to Celtic.

As he was unveiled at the club, Keane said: "I gave other clubs a chance and was impressed with them all.

"But it's a great move for me. I feel that this is where I belong and I'm here to work hard and win games."

"I've been in the Premiership for a long time and feel I have proved myself there and needed a different environment, different teams, different grounds," said Keane, who had in 1999 said that he would like to end his career at Celtic Park.

"Every boy in Ireland has an interest in Celtic, although my English team at the time was Spurs for some reason.

"I've been up to Celtic to watch a few games and always enjoyed my time here."

"This is not a financial move for me and I'm not coming here for an ego trip or to unwind," said Keane, whose deal is believed to be worth £40,000 a week, about half what he was on at Old Trafford.

"I had an important role in front of the back four at United, but I might be given more licence to play here.

"I push myself hard in training and try to push others hard - and people seemed happy with that until a few weeks ago."

Manager Gordon Strachan added: "He has proved over the last 15 years that he is a competitor.

"You can't get enough competitors in your squad and this was too good a chance to miss."


Keane will not be eligible to make his Celtic debut against Hearts at Tynecastle on New Year's Day as Scottish Premier League rules do not allow for players to be both registered and play on the first day of the new transfer window.

He will instead be aiming to face Clyde at Broadwood Stadium in the Scottish Cup third round the following weekend.

I think this is great news. I didn't want him to join some mid-table Premiership club and while a move to Real Madrid would have been quite something, it would have been hard for me to see him play. At least now I can catch him on Setanta Sports with Celtic!

I think Keane will be a big hit at Parkhead and I think he will prove an inspired signing fby Ggordan Strachan.

Look out Rangers! Celtic just bagged themselves a legend!

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

© 2008 United Irelander.