Friday, December 08, 2006

 

Where are all the great Irish women?

I noticed this week that Red Mum has decided to do a list on the great women of this country because, in her words, the list of the 100 Greatest Irish People currently taking place on United Irelander "featured few Irish women (for shame)".

I replied to this by saying, "I don't think we have had many great women in this country though. (Besides my mother of course)."

Well if you read the comments, the gals haven't taken too kindly to my view (must be that time of the month again eh fellas?!) but I figured I'd get your take on it.

Now we've had great women in this country no doubt (such as Anne Devlin for example) but have there been that many of them? I just don't think so.

Also, I think it's worth pointing out here to Red Mum that many of the names featured were SUGGESTED to me by readers. In fact, Ciarán from Neither Indifferent Nor Sceptical even commented that:

"I figure that, including all the names in the comments, we're running at a 5% female quotient. Irish women must be rubbish."

I think the participants featured on this site merely reflects the reality which is that the great figures of this country - be they political, cultural, sporting etc - were predominantly male. I don't think it has been unfair myself.

Your thoughts?


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

© 2008 United Irelander.