Sunday, September 24, 2006

 

Europe beats the USA!

I'd like to congratulate the European team on a fantastic victory over America at the K Club in Kildare to win the Ryder Cup for a record third time.

Europe cruised to a 18½-9½ victory as Captain Ian Woosnam's team proved too much for Tom Lehman's men.

Once again Irish golfers played a part and surely the best part of the victory was NI's Darren Clarke getting a rapturous reception as he defeated America's Zach Johnson.

Clarke of course tragically lost his wife Heather to cancer last month and needed a captain's wildcard to make the side. Woosnam and US star Tiger Woods embraced Clarke following the win. Said Clarke:

"This is as good as it gets.

"My team has been unbelievable and the support the Americans have shown me has been incredible.

"The support from the crowd is something that I will cherish forever."


American captain Tom Lehman added:

"I need to tip my hat completely to the European team. Our team came very ready, but maybe we weren't ready enough."




Picture says it all



This event had been eagerly anticipated here in Ireland and I think it can be regarded as a success, despite the best efforts of the weather to put a dampener on things.

On another note I must say that I enjoy seeing Irish, English and other European nationalities working together for the common good. Funny how it almost always works smoothly in sport but yet not in politics.

This is something I don't often say but well done Europe!

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

© 2008 United Irelander.