Tuesday, January 17, 2006

 

Stan's the man - Just ask him!

G'wan Stan! Did you all catch Steve Staunton's first press conference as Ireland manager on Monday?

What the hell was that about?

While he conducted himself well when questioned, did anyone else feel like myself that he was a bit too focused on getting across that he was the guy
in charge?

I felt pretty bad for Bobby Robson to be honest!

"I’m the boss. I’m the gaffer. At the end of the day what I say goes, the buck stops with me," said Staunton.

"I will use Bobby in whatever role I see fit. He has a huge role to play, he’s there for me all the time. I’ve got a very good coach alongside me (Kevin MacDonald) and I will put my trust and faith in him and that is why I got this team together."

Damn! Did he wake up on the wrong side of the bed or what?


Respect my authoritah!
I'm in charge! ME!







As I've already stated, I'm a bit sceptical about this whole arrangement and I really hope it doesn't end in disaster a couple of months down the line.


There was an interesting story in yesterday's Irish Independent that when Bobby Robson asked Staunton if he should call him Stephen, Steve or Stan - he replied: "Gaffer".

I don't know if that's true or not, all I know is that there could be some really tough years ahead for the Irish team as we try to build a side worthy of reaching the major tournaments.

I wish Stan and Bobby all the best though and I hope things work out well for Ireland in the future. Come on you boys in green!


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

© 2008 United Irelander.